About Me :)

Thursday 25 November 2010

Research on trailers

Today, we looked at a trailer promoting many films that will be coming out in the cinema. Here is what I have learnt today.
FDA is the organisation who represents all of the film distribution in the UK. This is done because the show reel wants to promote these films, so people will go and pay to watch them.
Although these clips have been selected to reflect the expectations of the summer season, some of the extracts from films do not include a summer aspect to it. However, it shows a range of fast moving and exciting films.
I would associate children's films with summer because children and parents are on a summer holiday off from school and work, therefore they will have time to watch the films.
An extract that made me particularly curious is a clip from an action/adventure film, where it includes a stunt and this makes it exciting and engaging to watch. Curiosity is also stimulated when seeing well-known actors, unusual settings and bold lines of dialogue that also links with the voice-over.
Two films that were in the show reel that I think could have a U or a PG certificate are Ice Age because it's a comedy cartoon, and Camp Rock because it includes children and young teenagers doing activities that children nowadays are interested in.
Two films that were in the show reel that I think could have a 15+ certificate are Bruno because it includes sexual references/scenes, violence and inappropriate behaviour, and, The Hangover because it contains adult humour.
We also watched trailers for Public Enemies and Armored and made notes on these films. For homework, we had to find conventions of a thriller genre. To help me, I found a prezi which I found very useful. Note: I do not own this.
Click here to view this prezi.
This prezi makes several interesting points, and I agree with the majority of these. "we are set up to realise that it is too late for Marion to 'repent' and we understand that her punishment is inevitable." This quote from the prezi relates to the plot of my main production. However, in my main production the victim doesn't need to repent; the killing is a mistake. The punishment of my main character, Sarah, is also inevitable but in a way that she is being punished by losing a loved relation. The audience doesn't know if this is the end of her punishment because it is only a 2 minute clip from the whole film (approximately).

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete